Sunday, May 15, 2016

2014 Throwback: 11 Hour Layover at Dubai International Airport

I love travelling and exploring new things. I have travelled to several places, sometimes with family, friend(s), or by my self. This time, I am going to share one of my travel experiences in brief. Actually, this might be the shortest travel story since it only tells about me wandering around a terminal at Dubai Airport while waiting for my connecting flight to Turkey (currently I am completing my notes on travelling around Turkey in Bahasa Indonesia. InshaAllah I'll write it in English soon.)

3 May 2014, I went to Changi Airport and was accompanied by two lovely Indonesians, they're my closest friends during my four-month stay in Singapore for student exchange program. This time I am all by my self travelling hundred miles away, yet I did not feel anxious or nervous at all. I was too excited to finally visit my dreamland, Turkey. My flight departed at 9.25 P.M. and it took 7 hours and 30 minutes to land in Dubai International Airport.

I was flying with Emirates Airlines, I booked the two-way tickets on March 2014 (for one week stay in Turkey), I paid 1000 Singapore Dollars at that time. but then I changed my mind and decided to stay for a month instead. I just wanted to make the most of stay period written in my tourist visa which was 30 days. Therefor, on April, I changed my booking to reschedule the date of my return and it costed me 50 Singapore Dollars.

It was the first time I heard Arabic speaking instruction on the plane, feeling like I was already in Arab country. The flight went well and we landed smoothly at 00.45 A.M. local time.  Before landing, I look through the window and only saw the yellowish city lights lined up neatly. Getting off from the plane, the passengers were transported into the building by bus. 

The airport was very huge yet not so many people there other than the staffs. I was amazed seeing the airport female Arab staffs wear black dress like Abaya, and Arab men wearing their traditional white dress and chess-pattern head scarf. It was my first time being in Arab country, so I was all excited to see the way the people dress and also the Arabic characters everywhere along with the English translation, wow. I saw a lot of Asian female staffs and cleaning services here, Filipinos for exactly. Many Indonesians also work in Arab country, but most of them work as maids, they don't get to work in such public place because they can't speak English well, unlike Filipinos. 

I rushed to Emirates Airline Terminal where I would catch the next fly and passed the security check. I regretted that I did not explore the airport before getting into security check, since I still had 11 more hours before connecting flight to Istanbul. The terminal is so comfy, there are lots of shops like money changer, duty free, Emirates Airline goodies, Mc Donald, and many more. The female officials wear the same uniform as the stewardess, some wear long skirt with red hijab. Oh by the way, I am a fan of Emirates Airline stewardess's uniform, it looks so pretty with that red head piece. If stewardess could wear hijab, I would definitely apply for that job, then I could travel around the world while earning money.

I did the Maghrib and Isya' prayers on the plane, so right after entering the Terminal I wandered around looking for comfy recliner chairs which unfortunately were all taken. I sat on the bench and trying to sleep with my neck pillow, but I couldn't because it was not comfortable at all. I saw three or four caucasians people were sleeping on the floor by the window glass, seems like they were also waiting for the connecting flight. Thus, without feeling embarrassed or afraid being warned by the security, I lay my self on the floor since I was extremely sleepy, lucky that I took the blanket I got from the plane, so I put it on the floor and I slept, safe and sound. 
I woke up and then I went to female prayer room for Subuh prayer. I took ritual ablution and then I pray. I was wearing trousers and there were no skirt or any garment in the prayer room, so I took the blanket and turned it into a skirt. This blanket really saved my day, hahaha.

After praying, I wandered around again and again, went into the duty free and souvenir shop but bought nothing. I sat on the bench in front of Mc Donald and smiled seeing the Mc Donald was written in Arabic, because l would read it like MAKDUNALDZ, throw back to the moment where my Arabic teacher, Mr. Shahid, told us about it. I was hungry, but the queue at McD inside counter was crazy, so I went to the front counter, Mc Cafe instead. Mc Cafe only offers breads and drinks. I ordered a glass of hot cappuccino and brownie cake, all cost 12 AED. The price lists written in English with UAE currency, but no worries, because the staff is friendly and that customers may use other currencies, I paid 3.5 US Dollars. I ate on the table by the entrance while enjoying time and observing people passed by.

Mc Donald Dubai UAE
Mc Donald at Dubai Airport

Mc Cafe Dubai
Mc Cafe's Cappuccino and Brownie Cake (USD 3.5)


After finishing my meals, I sat at the airport bench for like an hour and half perhaps. At 10 A.M. sharp, I looked for my Gate but it was not opened yet. I wait for several minutes till it was finally opened. The plane took off around 11.20 A.M. and after 4 hours and 35 minutes, it landed in Atatürk Airport, Turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment